The SCI Guidance project details various approaches on how to understand the different methodologies that are available for calculating energy, carbon intensity,embodied emissions and functional unit values which are the core components of the SCI calculation.
Internally the SCI guidance project also tries to provide pointers to various reference datasets that are available either in the public forums or with OEMs. These datasets point to reference values for E, I, M and R and are provided for standard configurations intended to help calculate the SCI score. Hence we would have a section beneath each of the components E, I, M and R that calls out reference SCI open datasets that can be leveraged for calculation of that component.
- (E) - Energy consumption (kilowatt hours) for different components of the software boundary over a given time period. Examples:
- CPU/GPUs at different percentages of utilisation
- Data storage
- Memory allocation
- Data transferred over a network
- (I) - Emissions factors. These may be regional yearly averages to begin with, but should ideally be marginal, and more granular than that.
- (M) - Embodied emissions data for servers, mobile devices and laptops